Saturday, June 14, 2014

please keep her as she sleeps

I put my baby girl to bed tonight in her own bed. In her own room. For the first time. 

Much emotion. Many tears.  

Other than the few nights our nurses talked me into taking a break and sleeping in the parent lounge or when John would take his turn bedside when Brooklyn was in-patient, my sweet baby has been no more than an arm's reach from me overnight in her short, but long, seven-and-a-half months of life. Such a huge deal, this transition. 

As I stood beside her bed tonight and prayed over her just as I have done with her and her sisters at bedtime from the time they were born, that prayer for protection and safe-keeping seemed to carry more significance than ever. And that prayer of thankfulness evoked more tears than ever. 

I am overwhelmed with gratefulness to be at this place. This place of normalcy. This place of transition. This place of trust and hope that everything really is going to be alright. That God has her. Whether she's in my arms...a few feet from me...or down the hall. He has her. 

In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment